Monday, November 3, 2008

Dream #1: Shopping


I always have dreams about shopping. As a matter of fact, there is a whole shopping complex in a certain part of a certain town that I am familiar with, only because I see it in my dreams. I was lost in the beginning, but now I know my way around because I was there a few nights before. I am always looking for new jewelry or new shoes or cute clothes. Whenever I go to buy them, however, something goes wrong, the store closes or I forgot my money, or I can't find the cashiers. It embarrasses me to have so many dreams about shopping because I don't consider myself a shallow sort of a person, and they are the dreams I would expect skinny blonde girls with fake tans and liberal studies majors to have.

Also being a psychology major, I know that the mechanisms and neurotransmitters and causes of dreams have yet to be explained. There are two or three theories that seem to work, but then there are always contradictions. Going further back in the field, however, Freud wrote a whole book on dreams and the unconscious: The Interpretation of Dreams. Rather than think I am just dreaming about shopping, I prefer to look at the deep structure of the dreams. That I am looking for something which I can never seem to quite get my hands on. If I find it, it is not the right size, and if it is, there is always something preventing me from obtaining it. Maybe it is symbolic of my dissatisfaction with life, how I always seem to be chasing the unottainable, or dreaming the undreamable, or thinking the unthinkable. Then again, maybe I just like to shop.

No comments: